What I’m working on
(last update: 17 May 2023)
- Not getting infected with SARS–CoV–2
- As of May 2021, moving into a new Lead Software Engineer role at Artiphon, maker of unique and expressive controllers for musicians of all skill levels.
- Continuing involvement with the MIDI Association, including as a member of its executive board and several of the working groups defining the new MIDI 2.0 standard.
- …including a modern C++ library/framework for MIDI 2.0. In search of a good name for this.
- A blank-page rewrite of my old MIDI 2.0 Scope app that was never released to the public, under a new name, incorporating everything I’ve learned about MIDI 2.0 (and changes to the spec documents since they were formally adopted)
- Writing a suite for brass quintet, sketching another for Wind Ensemble. I need to get these two pieces out of my head.
- …thinking a lot about what ‘my music’ should be now, especially the relationship between how humans engage with computers to make music, and how to get around my bad habit of working on large personal software tools instead of just sitting down and writing/playing.
- Rebuilding my trombone chops. (I played more or less daily for 15-16 years, from the ages of 9-25, then came to pretty much a dead stop for the next 26 years except for some sporadic attempts. Getting things back in shape is harder than I expected.)
- My forever in-progress interactive music performance system — we’ll come back to this after my MIDI 2.0 tools are shippable
Other things that I should be working on
- Writing music
- Reading something besides my RSS feeds
- Pruning out my RSS feeds
What I’m done with
- Keeping on top of a major home renovation project.
- Getting ready to travel to London, where I’ll present my MIDI 2.0 work as part of the annual Audio Developer Conference there.
- After that, more MIDI 2.0 talk at the Winter NAMM show
…and then MIDI 2.0 for Musicians at SXSW 2020.
- previous Day-job work. Recently (summer 2018) changed role to ‘Lead Engineer, Audio+Music’. Part of that time includes work as part of the MIDI Manufacturers Association Prototype Working Group to help build out tools for developers working on upcoming MIDI 2.0 products.
What I’m deliberately not working on
- Preparing to present my workshop at SXSW 2019 Panel, “Native Cross-Platform Development With C++ & JUCE” and our meetup (done! Successfully!)
- Abandoning an in-progress blogging/web publishing engine that I was writing using Flask/MongoDb. I have better things to do, and I already have WordPress installed here.